An Echocardiogram or Echo is an ultrasound assessment of the heart that can evaluate the structures of the heart using a series of images and videos. A trained technician will place a special probe on various parts of the chest wall to view the heart from different directions.
A detailed assessment of the heart valves, heart muscle and blood flow is then performed. The test usually takes 30 minutes.
On the day of the test
- Please bring your referral letter to the appointment.
- Do not consume alcohol or caffeine, or smoke in the 3 hours before your test.
During the test
- You will need to undress to the waist (women will be given a gown to wear throughout the test).
- Electrodes will be placed onto your chest and the Technician will perform an ultrasound of your heart while you rest on a bed.
After the test
- A full report will be sent to your Doctor after the results have been reviewed by a specialist (usually within 3 – 4 working days).